About the National Student Support Accelerator
The National Student Support Accelerator’s (the Accelerator) mission is to expand high-impact tutoring opportunities for all K-12 students in need. The Accelerator is a research-based, field-building organization that seeks to drive scaling and continual improvement in the quality of tutoring.
The Accelerator began with a group of educators convening on the issue of COVID-19 learning loss and the potential of tutoring as a solution. Currently the Accelerator is a program within the Annenberg Institute at Brown University but may become an independent entity once established.
The Accelerator plans to execute in the following areas to achieve its mission:
- Facilitate implementation by:
- Developing research-based tools and technical assistance for districts to select, implement and continuously improve tutoring programs and for tutoring organizations to scale with quality;
- Establishing standards and a system of assessing quality of tutoring programs against standards.
- Catalyze the field of tutoring by:
- Building a community of practice;
- Coordinating and leading research, continuous improvement and learning about what drives impact;
- Developing a variety of pilot sites designed to learn about effectiveness and implementation.
- Build engagement across stakeholders through direct outreach and sharing research outcomes and success stories.
About the Position
Reporting to the Director, the Director of Engagement and Development will be accountable for the Accelerator’s engagement, communications and fundraising efforts including:
- Actively participating in the Accelerator’s Leadership Team
- Developing and executing the Accelerator’s engagement and funds development strategy, goals and objectives and driving the annual operating plan
- Hiring, onboarding, and co-developing appropriate goals for the Engagement and Development Program Associate
- Actively promoting a diverse and inclusive environment through modeling, practices and operational systems
Leadership and Organizational Development:
- Lead engagement, communications and fundraising efforts;
- Hire, manage and support the Engagement and Development Program Associate to achieve accountabilities and grow and develop professionally;
- Ensure diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts are embedded throughout the Accelerator’s internal and external engagement operations and materials;
- Lead in the development and implementation of engagement, communications and fundraising systems, policies, and procedures.
Strategy & Management:
- Contribute to the Accelerator’s overall strategy development and implementation;
- Create and implement the Accelerator’s stakeholder engagement strategy including defining stakeholders (working with rest of leadership team), developing messaging, designing and executing outreach, and developing supporting convenings and materials;
- Lead the development of the Accelerator’s funds development strategy, objectives and annual operating plan to support budgetary requirements.
Engagement and Communications
- Represent the Accelerator in convenings as appropriate;
- Work with the Research and Innovation Director to plan and hold an annual conference;
- Establish and implement a system for updating the website and other materials to ensure information is accurate and relevant;
- Develops and writes materials for a variety of stakeholders to support the Accelerator’s mission.
Core Skills & Capacities
Passion: Passion for driving equitable education outcomes for all students.
Experience: Bachelor’s degree (field open) and 7 + years of communications or fundraising experience with a proven track record of effectively reaching goals.
Strategic Thinker: Able to assess trends and their impact on the Accelerator’s work and develop appropriate and leading edge engagement and communication strategies for success.
Execution: Passionate about and excellent aptitude for getting things done on time and with a high level of quality.
Communicator: Exceptional writer and communicator with ability to serve as the face of the organization as needed and errs on the side of over communicating progress, success, and challenges.
Commitment to Addressing Issues of Race & Equity: Demonstrates an active commitment to viewing their work through an equity and inclusion lens and finding and supporting opportunities to address issues of structural racism and economic inequity.
Lived Experience: Understands the experience of students that the organization seeks to serve.
Research: Values the theory and practice of rigorous research methods and works to ensure that Accelerator efforts are grounded in evidence.
Technologically Savvy: Understands how to leverage new technologies and how to design websites and other user interface technologies to maximize stakeholder engagement.
Problem-solver: Identifies issues early and leads collaborative, analytical decision-making with data-driven evidence.
Coaching Approach: Firmly believes in the potential of all people to learn and grow, experience being able to identify and support strengths and provide accessible advice to address challenges.
Entrepreneurial Mindset: Recognizes that the Accelerator is a new organization and is committed to continuous improvement, entrepreneurial thinking, and high adaptability.
Preferred: Fluency in Spanish.